Wednesday 30 April 2008

Reasons for Attendance - Philip Larkin


The trumpet's voice, loud and authoritative,
Draws me a moment to the lighted glass
To watch the dancers - all under twenty-five -
Solemnly on the beat of happiness.

-Or so I fancy, sensing the smoke and sweat,
The wonderful feel of girls. Why be out there?
But then, why be in there? Sex, yes, but what
Is sex ? Surely to think the lion's share
Of happiness is found by couples - sheer

Inaccuracy, as far as I'm concerned.
What calls me is that lifted, rough-tongued bell
(Art, if you like) whose individual sound
Insists I too am individual.
It speaks; I hear; others may hear as well,

But not for me, nor I for them; and so
With happiness. Therefor I stay outside,
Believing this, and they maul to and fro,
Believing that; and both are satisfied,
If no one has misjudged himself. Or lied.
- I feel I have been in both positions of being inside and outside (as most people probably do) I love what calls him is "that lifted, rough-tongued bell (Art, if you like)" suggesting he has a profound appreciation for the music on an almost spiritual level - something the dancers do not. The ending shows neither he or the dancers are "right or wrong" as long as everyone is true to themselves...

No comments: