Friday 5 June 2009

I Am Not Yours - Sarah Teasdale


I am not yours, not lost in you,

Not lost, although I long to be

Lost as a candle lit at noon,

Lost as a snowflake in the sea.


You love me, and I find you still

A spirit beautiful and bright,

Yet I am I, who long to be

Lost as a light is lost in light.


Oh plunge me deep in love -- put out

My senses, leave me deaf and blind,

Swept by the tempest of your love,

A taper in a rushing wind.


- I absolutely love reading different peoples takes on love and what it means to them to long for someone. I love Teasdales passion and yearning to be fully absorbed in the object of her affection "Oh plunge me deep in love...leave me deaf and blind". I think "Lost as a candle lit at noon, Lost as a snowflake in the sea" perfectly describes her desire to be one entity with her love. There is no rhyme or reason when it comes to true love.

No comments: