Saturday 29 August 2009

Do Not Stand At My Grave and Weep - Mary Elizabeth Frye


Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.


- To me this is such a beautiful and comforting poem which highlights the eternal spirit within all of us. We share oneness with all living things, eventually we die physically but we will always be part of the world. Part of that which is everlasting...the wind, the snow, the rain, the stars...When you are born into the world you are given nature as a gift, it is therefore part of you. It reminds me of Emily Brontes words in her poem 'Last Lines'..."thou art being and breath and what thou art can never be destroyed".

No comments: