Saturday 12 September 2009

Who Am I - Jason Mraz


I am not my face. I am not my hair.

I am not my family. I am not my care.


I am not my upbringing. I am not my mole.

I am not my receding gum. I am not my cold.


I am not my money. And I’m not my fame.

I’m not my hat. I’m not even my name.


I’m just an idea that happened upon love.

I am that I am and that I am is enough.


- Very beautiful poem. Even though Mraz has worldwide acclaim, he doesn't allow the fame to become him...he does not define himself by his money or his hat (he can often be seen wearing a hat!) The last lines "I'm just an idea that happened upon love. I am that I am and that I am is enough" are the most beautiful correlation of words I've seen in a poem. We all just began as an idea. In the grand picture we share oneness with all things. Spirit is eternal - his money, fame, hair, cold are not... Define yourself in that you are that you are...an idea which sprang into the world...like a poem or song from an artists mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, we've got something in common in this life, we both like jason mraz and we both loved that poem , i am new with this blogs and stuff and if u visit my blog you'll see that i'm looking for people to know me and know my way of thinking
my favorite quote ever:"i'm just and idea that happened upon love, i am that i am and that i am is enough"
when i read this, when he published it , well it's just breathtaking.
hope you can visit me and/or answer me...

peace & love .. marieMraz:*

The girl with kaleidoscope eyes said...

Hi Maria! Thanks for taking the time to check out my page. I think Jason Mraz is pretty awesome, love his music, poetry and his spirit so it's nice to hear from someone who I have that in common with! Yeah those last two lines of his poem really struck a chord with me and reminds me of the oneness we share as human beings. I'm very passionate about poetry though never put my own poems in the blog. One day I hope to get the guts to do it :-) I hope you enjoy any of the other poems I have posted or will post in the future.

Namaste,

Kim x