Saturday 10 May 2008

Notes - Paul Engle


Butterfly trembles when the wind blows.

You walk near me.

The dog barks at the loud moon.

When you come to me,I speak softly, softly,

Until we are silent together.

For two hundred years

This pine tree has been trained to grow sideways.

I have known you only one week,

But I bend as you walk toward me.


- I love Engles analogy of how he bends towards the object of his affection in the same way as a tree which has spent years growing bends. He suggests that sometimes the connection we have with someone can be so natural (like a tree that grows in the wood) and also that it can feel like you've know that peron forever, no matter how long it has been (two hundred years or one week!) - you will bend in a way you yourself may not even understand...

No comments: